Trust Jesus in the storm (Faith > Fear)
Fear followed sin and the Fall
Fear is related to punishment, not faith
There is no fear love
Beware of Satan’s schemes
Be confident in the superiority of Christ
Be armed for battle
Be communing with Him consistently
Be filled with the Holy Spirit
Be saturated with His Word
Be certain of God’s love for you.
Be committed to trusting in God’s plan.
Be concerned with His glory.
Fact #1: You are building your life on some kind of foundation.
Fact #2: The storms of life will test the stability of your foundation.
Principles to Apply:
Be careful what kind of foundation you are storm proofing your life with.
Deeply secure your foundation through knowing and obeying Christ.
Recognize that the greatest storm is yet to be faced and respond immediately.
- A Godly leader serves with humility and compassion. (vv. 19; 31; 36-37)
- A Godly leader exhibits transparent integrity. (vv. 18; 27)
- A Godly leader acts with courage. (vv. 19-24)
- He/she acts decisively, even in hardship.
- He/she has the courage to stay the course that God has set for him/her.
- A Godly leader is serious about declaring truth. (vv. 20; 27)
Confidence in God through Christ
Not condemned, spoken for
Nothing separates the love
More than conquerors
Confidence in the love of God
1 Corinthians 12:1-11
- Gifts of the Spirit will point to Jesus.
- Gifts of the Spirit are meant to be used.
- Gifts of the Spirit build up the Body of Christ.
- Gifts of the Spirit are diverse.
- Gifts of the Spirit don't make you extra spiritual.
1 Corinthians 11:17-34
- Approach God's meal with love for the Body of Christ.
- Approach God's meal with remembrance for the comprehensive work of Christ on your behalf.
- Approach God's meal with a spirit of introspection.
1 Corinthians 11:2-16
- We should honor the Lord through our practical understanding of headship.
- We should be willing to limit our use of freedom so as to not dishonor, distract, or offend in worship.
- We should humbly focus on fulfilling our role in worship and family, instead of fighting it.
1 Corinthians 10:14-11:1
- Be devoted to Christ with your affections while still outward focused in your friendships.
- Be focused on what is truly good for others, not what is simply permissible.
- Be free of legalism, but guided by conscience.
- Be faithful in using your freedom for God's glory.
- Be an example of Christ for others to imitate.
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
- Don't dabble with idolatry.
- Don't test the Lord.
- Don't let freedom lead to engaging immorality.
- Don't begin to grumble.
- Don't let your spiritual guard down.
- Don't believe that temptation has ultimate power over you.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
- Eternal life hangs on the way we run.
- We run to obtain because we have been obtained.
- Our running is on the basis of what God did on our behalf.
- How do we run?
- Run like a winner.
- Give it all you got.
- Run with self-control.
- How does this relate to the mission of the Church?
1 Corinthians 9:1-23
Recognize your particular rights...
So that you can relinquish those that might hinder your individual calling...
And hamper your effectiveness to contextually win all kinds of people to Christ.
- Following Jesus means prioritizing him far above our desires for the approval of others, safety, comfort, wealth, and other worldly goods.
- Following Jesus means prioritizing gospel proclamation far above even our most reasonable obligations.
- Following Jesus means being singularly focused in our discipleship.
1 Corinthians 8:1-13
- True spirituality is evidenced by love, not knowledge.
- True spirituality is evidenced by empathy for others.
- True spirituality is evidenced by a willingness to sacrifice personal liberty for others.
1 Corinthians 7:25-40
- Embrace your present calling.
- Be focused on the right priorities.
- Maximize your time for God's glory.
- Don't fret finality.
1 Corinthians 7:10-24
- Reconciliation is always our aim in marriage.
- Remaining with an unbelieving spouse is best.
- Responsibility to the Lord is what matters most, so be faithful where you are.
A Survey of Luke
Follow me (Luke 5:1-11, 27-31)
- Show (loving acts) and tell about Jesus (the gospel).
- Intentionally pursue a few.
- Invite a few into your life.
- Imitate and learn from me.
Teach others to do the same! (Luke 9:1-6, Acts 1:8)
- Train and empower
- Give them the ministry
1 Corinthians 7:1-9
- Sex is meant for marriage only.
- Marriage is meant, in part, for sex.
- Marriage and singleness are both gifts from God, so trust in God's gift for you.